[Pmwiki-users] one installation, multiple wikis

John Rankin john.rankin
Sat Mar 20 15:29:15 CST 2004

On Saturday, 20 March 2004 5:24 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>I'm also coming to the point where I'd like to be able to easily
>maintain separate wikis (each with its own set of WikiGroups) via
>a single PmWiki installation, so let's see if we can refine some of
>the ideas and suggestions that have come across the listserv recently
>into a workable standard or specification.

[snip]

>Crisses, do you have an idea of what would be an ideal install sequence
>for someone wanting to set up a field in a wiki farm?  I see the key
>difficulties in configuration coming from setting up the URL redirections
>for the pmwiki.php script, the pub/ directory, and the uploads/
>directory.
>
>> Are these files & folders defined by pmwiki variables or are they flat
>> calls to certain files?  can a local folder contain, for example,
>> "ofobscurityconfig.php" and "kinhostconfig.php" and the wrapper for the
>> respective wikis contain overrides [...?]
>
>At present configuration variables cannot be easily set in a wrapper,
>but I can easily modify PmWiki to allow this.  I think your question/comment
>of making it possible for individual user accounts to set up wiki fields
>in a global wiki farm is a great approach for being able to resolve
>these issues.  In this scenario, the system administrator becomes the
>farm's wikiadmin, while each user can become a field wikiadmin.
>
>So, my question above becomes:  Given that there's a wiki farm already
>installed and operating on the system, what steps would we want someone
>to take to set up a wiki field in their account and become the wikiadmin
>for that field?

If you look at
http://wiki.cyg.net.nz/

there is a working prototype of the wiki farm idea, as described on:
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/WikiFarm

You set up a new field by adding it to the Main.FieldList page in the
'home' field. The farm script uses this to set up a ring of fields,
with pointers to the next and previous field.

There are no changes required to pmwiki.php -- it's a pure local
customisation.

It supports per-field configuration through a $field.config.php
file.

But it's a work in progress -- we are trying to make it as simple as
possible (but no simpler).

>Pm
>
>--

JR