[pmwiki] Re: [Pmwiki-users] upload trouble with pmwiki 0.6.7

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Mar 17 16:45:31 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:55:01PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> SDF's config does not allow me to set UID or GID.  I then tried the chmod 777
> umask(0) trick from PmWiki.ErrorMessages, but that got me
>
> Warning: mkdir(uploads/Aerie/): No such file or directory in
> /www/ag/a/arndis/wiki/pmwiki.php on line 302
> PmWiki can't process your request
> Cannot create uploads/Aerie/
> Current directory is /www/ag/a/arndis/wiki
> We are sorry for any inconvenience.
> http://www.pmichaud.com/ref/PmWiki/Mkdir

This looks to me as though the uploads/ directory didn't already
exist somehow.

> Point #1:
> Anytime PmWiki needs SUID or GUID to do something
> (usually making a directory) I
> am probably screwed.  Is $ForceMkdir=1 the solution to this problem for
> everything, or just for uploads?

$ForceMkDir=1 simply tells PmWiki to just go ahead and try to create
the needed directories without checking the ownerships/permissions of
the parent first.  It should be a solution for all directories that may
need to be created when running PmWiki.

> Point #2:
> While testing, I found that it would be really helpful to get an error when
> trying to upload too big a file. Since I'm the wiki admin, I kept thinking I
> could do anything I wanted and forgot about the size limits I myself had set!

PmWiki's upload feature *does* give an error when uploading too big a file,
*if* it can determine that this is what happened.  Try uploading a file
larger than 50KB to the Main group on pmichaud.com.  Unfortunately PHP
and the web server don't always provide PmWiki with sufficient (or
even correct) information when a file upload hasn't succeeded.