[Pmwiki-users] Wiki HTML validation issues

Chris Lott chris
Sat Mar 13 22:21:27 CST 2004

[please excuse my earlier empty message]

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

 >>> IMO, the problems with the trailing slashes in the <link ... /> and
 >>> tags are bugs in the validator.

[...]

 > Some browsers (notably IE) change their interpretation of the document
 > based on the doctype declaration

Well, closing of "empty" elements using an abbreviated close is not
'valid' html according to the specification, so it isn't a bug, though
it scarcely matters. More important, I think, is to stick to using the
proper tag set for the document type declaration. So if HTML is the
doctype, use HTML tag conventions, otherwise use XHTML.

If you look at: http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html you will
notice that your document declaration has exactly the same properties
(in terms of putting browsers into standards vs quirks mode) as using
XHTML 1.0 Transitional without an XML declaration... Presumably this
would allow you to switch to XHTML proper, if you wish, without changing
any rendering characteristics and please pedantic validators at the same
time

Chris Lott