[Pmwiki-users] Wiki HTML validation issues

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Mar 13 09:05:02 CST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 04:11:54PM +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 07:54:50PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > IMO, the problems with the trailing slashes in the <link ... /> and <meta ... />
> > tags are bugs in the validator.  They're correct for XHTML, and should be
> > valid in HTML as well (same as <br /> is a valid construction).
>
> I told the validator to override the doctype and claim to be XHTML
> transitional, and it validates fine. Is there a reason to use HTML
> transitional in the tmpl file?

Some browsers (notably IE) change their interpretation of the document
based on the doctype declaration, and my early experiments in the area
made me feel that it was probably safest to stick with HTML transitional
for now.  However, there's nothing to prevent a wiki admin from
changing the doctype to XHTML if he/she wishes, and I may convert the
PmWiki default skin to use XHTML in the near future.