[Pmwiki-users] PHP diff engine now in cookbook

Nils Knappmeier nk
Sun Mar 7 05:30:55 CST 2004

Hello fellows that have to run your PmWiki in PHP Safe Mode,

today I was working on a diff algorithm that also worked for bigger
files and I finished it up.
Since Pm provided the hooks in integrate it without patching pmwiki.php
and since the algorithm seems to work pretty well now,
I put it into the cookbook.

The module should be compatible with the GNU diff and GNU patch, so you
should be able to migrate without data loss.
However, there is no reason to do that as long as GNU diff and GNU patch
work fine on your system. I advise you _not_ to migrate unless you have
to because:

1) If there is a bug, in my functions, then you might lose your Page
History.
2) GNU diff probably gives better result. I haven't proven yet, that my
algorithm computes the optimal diff (it probably doesn't in all cases)

The testing ground still exists at
http://www.fachschaft.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de, which also contains a
brief description of the algorithm.
In addition, the engine is running on my own homepage at
http://www.knappi.org
The cookbook recipe can be found at
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Cookbook/PHPDiffEngine.

Tell me if you have any problems...