[Pmwiki-users] Force WikiWords for PmWiki group

Richard Canning rcanning
Tue Mar 2 21:03:32 CST 2004

Possibly the following could be included into the sample-config.php.

   # Turns off WikiWords in all groups except Main and PmWiki
   $group = FmtPageName('$Group',$pagename);
   if ($group!='' && $group!='Main' && $group!='PmWiki') $WikiWordCountMax = 0;

This basically states that unless the group is Main or PmWiki, then turn off all WikiWords. I have done this on my site and it works very well.

You could easily exclude the $group!='Main' and $group!='' if you want to turn WikiWords off in Main as well.

Note: This may have already been mentioned, or something like this, but I have jumped in at the end of the thread.

Richard Canning

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Leite [mailto:steven_leite at kitimat.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 3:23 AM
To: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
Subject: Re: [Pmwiki-users] Force WikiWords for PmWiki group

> > I am setting up a wiki for a programming project. We use lots of
> > words like "OpenGL" and "Direct3D", so I just turned off WikiWords
> > entirely to make things easier. When I did this, a lot of the links
> > in the PmWiki group also got turned off -- bad! For now I have fixed
> > it with a group config file, but I thought I'd mention it. It might
> > be worth either converting the PmWiki group to freelinks, or enable
> > WikiWords for that group by default, so that new users don't have to
> > figure it out on their own.

* I Agree *

I've encountered this very same thing.  The very first thing I did with my PmWiki was to turn off WikiWords.  Now I have two installs running on my machine, one default install (WikiWords enabled) so I can access the documentation which I do frequently, and another install where I do all my playing,
and project creation (WikiWords disabled).

> Well, I don't want all (or even most) of the links in the PmWiki group
> to be freelinks, because the pages in the PmWiki group are often new
> users' first exposure to the wiki markup language or the place they
> turn to for markup examples.

* My thoughts about WikiWords and Wiki's in General *

I think the invention of WikiWords or CamelCase is a terrible tragedy. NOBODY (who has NOT used a wiki before) would consider that to be "natural" .. It's actually frightening to think that users "first exposure" to wiki markup will be teaching them CamelCase!  :o !!  (My Personal Opinion) I
think WikiWords should be banned from every Wiki.  (LoL).   Now days Wiki's
(especially PmWiki) are being used for more and more variety of purposes, especially it can be found in corporations and business websites where business owners are thrilled that they can have a lavish website AND be able to edit it themselves.  Unfortunately, WikiWords (particularly Title and Group
names) are still a detourent.  I'm waiting for this to be enhaced, as well as using Spaces in file names and WikiPages and Group names.  I think that's still far off though. :-(

* Counter Argument *

> And I don't want to do per-group customizations in the default
configuration
> because that confuses admins

>also ("hey, I turned off WikiWords but
> they're still enabled in the PmWiki group even though I didn't create
>a  local/PmWiki.php file...what's going on behind the scenes?").

> "Hey, I turned off WikiWords but they're still enabled in the PmWiki
group"

as apposed to:  "Hey, I disabled WikiWords, but now all the documentation has become useless!  What's going on here?"

> I'm open to other suggestions, but so far I think the current setup
> best follows the principle of least surprise.

* Solution / Compromise *

Well, having said all that, there is one solution to the big problem of the WikiDocumentation being disabled when WikiWords are disabled which J Perkins hinted at in the first paragraph (above), and that is, creating a Group customization for pmwiki (PmWiki.php) in your local/ folder, and enabling
WikiWords there (to fix your broken documentation).

It's a simple and effective solution.  Somebody ought to document that somewhere :-)  Can someone tell me precisely what a user should put in that PmWiki.php to obtain the desired result?

Another solution would be in-fact, to ship PmWiki with WikiWords disabled by default.  Better yet, completely elliminate WikiWords from PmWiki.  Make it a {{Free Link Only}} Wiki; kill all the documentation that even makes reference to WikiWords and WikiWord syntax.

LoL .. yeah, I know, I'm dreaming!

--S