[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Mar 2 15:54:05 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 03:15:43PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> The problem with "easy things easy and hard things possible" in a
> collaborative context is that if "hard things possible" becomes
> "hard things common" then a rather sizeable portion of people are
> excluded from participating.

Well, that's the trick. Does your user base commonly want to do hard
things?  :-)

> Looks like I'm fighting an uphill battle on this one

I don't know ... only 5 or so of us have weighed in and somehow I think
the pmwiki community is bigger than that :)

> I just felt that it would make more sense if alt= information was
> more closely tied to the image URL than WikiStyles permit, and if the
> alt-text was written after the image URL instead of before, since
> alt-text tends to be parenthetical anyway.

My sense agrees with yours on this point at least :)

> One last gasp...what about something like:
>
>    http://www.example.com/path/image.gif[Alt Text]
>
> where the [Alt Text] becomes a generic part of all URL markup (part of
> the $UrlPathPattern), used to specify the "alt=" attribute for image
> tags and the "title=" attribute for other links.

Sounds good.

> Width, height, and the like would still be specified by WikiStyles.

This is the part I don't like mainly because of the
action-at-a-distance potential with large paragraphs.  Or even the
nonaction-at-a-distance.

%width=120%Some very long paragraph of text with an embedded image
http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/toast-4a.gif[flaming pop tarts!]

%width=120%Some very long paragraph of text with an embedded
%%red%wikistyle%% (oops, where did my width go?) and an image
http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/toast-4a.gif[flaming pop tarts!]

Or do I misunderstand and the styles *must* be immediately before
the image?  If that's the case, I'm all for it.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com