[Pmwiki-users] Wikibashing (prevention)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jun 17 12:58:16 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 02:31:25PM -0400, Crisses wrote:

> I'm thinking one thing that we could do is have an option to turn on
> either WikiSandbox protection OR  have a feature that causes immediate
> mail postings for certain pages (like Main.HomePage and
> Main.WikiSandbox would be good pages for immediate posts) such that it
> logs changes for a while til someone hits one of those pages, which
> forces PmWiki to mail out the recent changes notices to whoever
> receives the emails.  An entirely optional option, but a good
> protective mechanism.

In local/Main.WikiSandbox.php and local/Main.HomePage.php, do

  if ($action=='post') {
    $MailPostsDelay=0;
    $MailPostsSquelch=0;
  }

This causes any posts to either of those pages to automatically and
immediately send out the current set of notices without waiting.

> Also, listing the diff(s) for each page in the
> email might be nice -- as an option.  Then I can tell at-a-glance
> whether or not I should change the page(s) in question.

This will likely be a future enhancement.  It may be better to list the
diffs via an RSS feed rather than email (the email could link to the
RSS feed).

> Also, finally,
> including a direct link to the page so one doesn't have to go to
> AllRecentPages from the email to see what's been updated, and to get
> links to the pages.

On pmichaud.com/pmwiki.org, I do

  $MailPostsItemFmt =
    " * \$PageUrl ... \$PostTime by \$Author";

which automatically places the full URL to the page in the email.
Of course, one could just as easily do

  $MailPostsItemFmt =
    " * \$PageUrl?action=diff ... \$PostTime by \$Author";

to directly go to the page history.