[Pmwiki-users] Simple tables in PmWiki2.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jun 16 20:56:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:30:19PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> Suggestion:
> Extend the simple table syntax to support
> <th> as well as <td> markup
>
> Markup options:
> ||!this bit is a header!||and this bit isn't||

Would it be better to just use a leading ! instead of both leading and
trailing !'s?  For example:

    ||!this is a header||and this bit isn't||

Also, how should left/center/right justification be handled in this
case?  <th> normally centers its contents in most browsers, should
PmWiki override this whenever the text is against the left margin, or
only if there are trailing spaces?

    ||!no align= attribute||      <th>  or <th align='left'> ?
    ||!align=left         ||      always <th align='left'>

My vote is that align=left is only added if the trailing spaces are
there.

Should the ! travel with the text for centered/right justified contents?
For example
    ||!    align=center   ||!    align=right||
versus
    ||    !align=center   ||    !align=right||

My vote is for the first.

I've implemented a prototype of this markup in the 2.0 development
wiki--it assumes that trailing spaces are needed to force left
justification, and that the ! immediately follows the ||.  See

    http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/SimpleTables

Feel free to experiment with it there and provide feedback, suggestions,
etc.

I like the idea of the caption markup but will consider it a bit
further before proceeding (plus I need to read up on <caption> :-).