[Pmwiki-users] Re: Uploading and password proctecting

Christian Ridderström chr
Wed Jun 16 02:05:15 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Steven Leite wrote:

> I think [protecting the directory with uploaded files] should be
> optional.

Definitely.

> I think the idea of having uploaded files in a non-web-accessible
> directory is a VERY good idea.  This will extend naturally to the idea
> of password protecting downloads in the same way that we password
> protect pages.

The drawback, as you mentioned further down, is that we loose the ability
to use other tools for browsing uploaded files. We then would have to
implement these functionalities ourselves, which seems a pity (and a bit
of bloat).

I haven't followed this thread seriously, but is there anything wrong with
controlling access by using .htacces in the upload-directory?

/Christian