[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun Jun 13 03:04:00 CDT 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 08:37:42PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >  I've been thinking that maybe it'd be better to give each
> > page a uniqe ID (a number or something). This would have some advantages:
> > * We can do version control of page renaming (name changes, ID is constant)
>
> I don't see this as being a big selling feature--how often has anyone
> needed version control of the page name?  (Note that the existence of
> [:title:] also affects this a fair bit.)

It might not be a big feature, but I sure miss being able to rename a
file (or move it) under CVS. You're right about [:title:] though, that
helps a bit. But [:title:] doesn't help me if I want to change the URI of
a page (and keep track of this change) does it?

In order to move a page (i.e. make it accessable under a different URI),
I edit the original page, copy the source and paste it into the new page.
The drawback is that I loose all history. An alternative is of course to
create a new page that does an [[include:...] of the old page, but then
I've got duplicates in the namespace.

Anyway, I guess this discussion should probably be done separately. I
really only wanted to say that I think we should add unique IDs. If you
want motivation, I refer to "gut feeling" :-)

> > * We can have several page paths point to the same page (this is something
> >   I'd really like, because it'd allow me to place a page in more than one
> >   group). What I mean is that the links (or page paths)
> > 	/LyX/LaTeX-tools
> >   and
> > 	/LaTeX/LaTeX-tools
> >   would refer to the same page.
>
> Are you saying that [[include:LyX/LaTeX-tools]] and/or
> [[redirect:LyX/LaTeX-tools]] aren't sufficient to do this?  Did you
> need them to appear the same for searches or something?

Using [[include:..]] and [[redirect:]] hasn't been enough for me so far.
But maybe I'm not using [[redirect:]] properly, I'm not so comfortable
with using that directive for some reason. One annoying thing with
[[include:]] is that if you let /LyX/LaTeX-tools include
/LaTeX/LaTeX-tools, then when you click edit on you realize that you're
editing the wrong page...

(As a sidenote, it would sometimes be really convenient with an option to
[[include:]] that automatically shows something like "(included from
LaTeX.LaTeX-tools)" just before the stuff is actually included.)

> > It's probably a good idea to think of the pages as a database (regardless
> > of how it's implemented), and look at how to structure it from that point
> > of view.
>
> PmWiki 2.0 does just that.

Ok. Do you have a reason for not giving pages a unique ID? From my
experience with databases I'd say that's almost a requisite?

/Christian