[Pmwiki-users] Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Jun 12 11:44:42 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:01:38PM -0500, Tom Hoover wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 06:14:57PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > Finally we have my favourite (fig. d), where a page may belong to an
> > arbitrary number of groups (0 or more). This solution definitely needs
> > more work in terms of defining how it would function, but it's too
> > late in the evening now.
>
> This sounds a bit like the Category groupings in MoinMoin.  At the
> bottom of the edit page, one can select from a drop-down box the
> Category(ies) to which the page should be assigned.  Or, one can
> actually edit the last line of the particular page to add/remove
> Category tags (i.e. grouping are handled by tags, rather than
> Group.Pagenames).

Well, this concept actually derives from categories in the original
wiki, where there was no grouping mechanism.  Essentially, the idea
was that each page could indicate its membership in a category
by adding "CategorySomething" into the page.  Then, to find all of
the pages in the category, one simply did a search for "CategorySomething".

This is useful for being able to find related pages, but doesn't
really work in terms of partitioning the page name space (which is the
problem I encountered in my original wikis) or in being able to set
passwords/group headers.