[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Pmwiki new version

Nils Knappmeier nk
Thu Jun 10 05:24:13 CDT 2004

>Please forgive my ignorance about non-US keyboards.  :-)  Is there a good
>reference/table somewhere that I could look at?
>
>Pm

Honestly, if you want to take into account all the non-US keyboards,
you'd have to create a new markup for each language. Or altenative
markups for some things.
On a german keyboard, "[]{}~" is generally a pain to type (AltGr+8,
AltGr+9, AltGr+7, AltGr+0, ..., AltGr+Q) and that is because
unfortunately we Germans consider umlauts more important than brackets.
Umlauts are at the places of brackets on the english keyboards.
So, if you would want to make an easy-to-type markup for a german
keyboard, you'd have to use +'#*-_.:,;?`?\<>!"?$%&/=
But <>| are not so easy to hit either (in my oppinion).

With 20 or 30 different keyboard-layouts in the world, how do you want
to find a markup that is easy to type on each of them?

Nils

home: http://www.dike.de/~nknapp
icq: 11786572

The great thing about being the only species that makes
a distinction between right and wrong is that we can
make up the rules for ourselves as we go along.

Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See...