[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Pmwiki new version

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Jun 9 20:02:12 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 10 June 2004 11:47 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:
>On 9 Jun 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> >a) As JR commented, [:  :]  is harder to type than [[ ]]
>> >b) [single] brackets is not obscure enough to avoid the possibility of
>> >it appearing in regular text
>>
>> And doubling up makes the directive stand out from the
>regular text.
>
>I'm confused... I thought *directives* should stand out from the regular
>text, whereas stuff like ''italics'' shouldn't.

WYSIWIM (What You Said Is What I Meant) -- doubling up ([[directive]]
rather than [...]) is a good thing *becuase* it makes the directive
stand out more from regular text.

These various posts have strengthened my view that for directives
the ideal solution is to use mirrored pairs of repeated characters.
Or require directives to use start of line markup. eg

..directive param
==directive param

--
JR