[Pmwiki-users] convert existing HTML to wiki

Steven Leite steven_leite
Wed Jun 9 12:02:46 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, June 09, 2004 7:06 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Dan <dan at mcenter.com> wrote:

> Is there a tool available that will convert an existing HTML document
> to wiki format?

No.  I've contemplated writing a function for this - I'm working on a
wysiwyg plug-in, and I need this same functionality, but it would be a
lot of work, and it might only support 50% of the markup at first.
Slowly over time it might eventually become more and more accurate, but
everytime a new markup appears (or disappears, as in the upcoming
version 2.0 of PmWiki), it would be a big pain to have to update all the
logic.  I've stalled this project for a while I wait for a big idea to
hit me over the head.

It would be doubly difficult with arbitrary html files because depending
on which editor (or person) constructed the html file, the code, syntax
or style might vary slightly.  At least with an wysiwyg editor, you know
exactly what it's formatting and style is, and you know what it's
capabilities are, so you only need to account for a select number of
translations.

-S