[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki development

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Mon Jun 7 02:12:21 CDT 2004

First of all I think this rewrite is making the wonderful PmWiki even
greater :).

For the renaming-schemes I'd say to

1. Release the existing 0.6 version (with a couple more enhancements)
   as "PmWiki 1.0", with the new version to be called "PmWiki 2.0".
   This is reasonable, as I think 0.6 has reached a level of maturity
   where it could justifiably be labeled as a 1.0 release.

#1 (go for PmWiki 2.0)
   This would be okay by me to simply show that 2.0 is a somewhat
   new/redesigned version.
#2 (leave 0.6 and create 0.9)
   This is also okay, because I think 0.X-versions are expected to be
   overhauled now and then :). But giving the new version a 0.9-number
   would be a bad idea IMHO. This would make people think that the new
   version is more or less a final version before the 1.0 comes out. And
   I think we are going to find some problems in the new code at first.
#3 (rename)
   Nah, don't do that. Never change a name a project is known under.
   Perhaps someone has a nice naming scheme to add "work-names", so that
   we are going to have "PmWiki-FooBar"-cycle (just like Debians Woody,
   Sarge, ...)

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 07:59:45PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Right, I'm just experimenting with possibilities for nested groups,
> but I'm still not fond of the idea.  I still haven't seen an instance
> where it's really needed or useful (although I'm looking into the
> stuff that Jason Perkins wrote about a few days ago).

One thing where I'd find nested groups useful would be e.g. my personal
pages. A user could add a simply substructure to have things like

        Profiles/Balu
        Profiles/Balu/Thoughts
        Profiles/Balu/Todo

And so on. Having Profiles/BaluTodo would of course be possible, but
would be against the idea of the Profiles-Group IMHO.

If nested groups are easy to implement and to work with I'd say go for
it (also simply because some people asked for them, so there might be a
need). If not there are possibly more important things to do :)

-- Balu
*shiver* still the compact coding style I don't like ;). Use more spaces,
Luke. - argh. There goes my new year's resolution to not start
discussions on coding style. again. 8-)