[Pmwiki-users] Install then problem...

Chick Foxgrover cflists
Thu Jul 29 10:45:46 CDT 2004

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 04:07:23PM -0400, Chick Foxgrover wrote:
>> I have just installed pmwiki at my host (Dreamhost) where I'm
>> running  PHP as CGI. The home page loads properly and created the
>> wiki.d  directory but if I try any link in the site I get:
>> ---------
>> Warning: Unexpected character in input: '' (ASCII=12) state=1 in
>> /usr/local/dh/cgi-system/php.cgi on line 2788
>> [...]
>> Any ideas? I've tried setting the permissions on multiple files and
>> directories in case that was the problem.
>> You can see this at http://wexwiki.netrenga.com

--On Thursday, July 29, 2004 0:58 -0600 "Patrick R. Michaud"
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> I just tried this and it appears to be working now...were you able
> to fix the problem?  (If so, how?)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pm

Interesting question! Some months ago I had EXACTLY  the same problem
(I mean even the same line 2788 was referenced in the error) with a PHP
content management system I installed at Dreamhost and needed to change
the mode in which PHP was running on the site to non-CGI (Apache
module?) Then it worked. I have been experimenting with many PHP
content management scripts and have installed about 12 of them so I'm
getting more familiar with some of the problems. Mostly permission
problems.

So I though well maybe PMWiki can't run with PHP as CGI...
But then I thought after checking all the permissions, that I should
check the config.php again to see if there were any file location
references I had missed and discovered ...I had not made a config.php!.
It is a little unclear in the instruction whether it is NECESSARY or
only needed if you want to customize the installaltion. But I had
looked at sample-config.php and made some changes but I must have done
it only on a local version and not uploaded to my server So I created a
simple config.php in local directory et voila!

Now I still don't understand why this message is produced but there it
is.  Now that I've seen it twice with two completely different scripts
I have a little better idea what might be happening. You will
understand this much better. Later that day got an error on the flock
file which would not work with permissions set to 644 but thanks to
your terrific error handler I was able to understand what to do with
it. I set it to 777 and I'm fine if perhaps too wide open.

Sorry to be so long-winded! If one is not much of a Linux/Unix jock
these installations are always a bit of an adventure. It would be
interesting to know what the permission mapping of each directory and
file should be in a perfect world. In any case, now a happy PmWiki'er,
learning the ropes!

Thanks
Chick Foxgrover