[Pmwiki-users] including parts of a page, once again

John Rankin john.rankin
Fri Jul 16 21:18:38 CDT 2004

On Friday, 16 July 2004 11:59 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>> > [:include SomePage##a :]                  from beginning to #a
>> > [:include SomePage#a# :]                  from #a to end of page
>>
>> I really think those are confusing... didn't we have them just a few
>> lines above already?
>
>These actually end up being an artifact of the implementation and weren't
>designed.  We don't have to document them.

OTOH, I quite like them. And presumably this would also work:

 [:include SomePage#..#a :]                  from beginning to #a
 [:include SomePage#a..# :]                  from #a to end of page

My 5? worth:

- what are some real world scenarios where one would use all these
  capabilities; it feels like a lot of additional structure that may
  not get used very often

- I currently don't have a need for these to be added to PmWiki 1.0

- but, yesterday I had a situation where there are many pages all
  with the same structure, and I wanted to include the first few
  paragraphs, skip a bunch, then include the rest of the page; in
  other words: include page, but omit paragraphs between #a to #b

    I guess I do [:include Page..#a :]
                 [:include Page#b.. :]

  I almost wanted conditional text -- the ability to show or hide
  different bits of text under different conditions, but decided
  this would be gratuitous

--
JR