[Pmwiki-users] Autosave on Preview

Mirko Froehlich mfroehlich
Wed Jul 7 11:36:30 CDT 2004

Would it be possible to implement something like an Autosave feature? I am
thinking of saving a copy of the current page in a backup folder whenever
the Preview button is clicked.

When I work on a long and complicated Wiki page (for example when I'm
hashing out some software design ideas), I usually hit the Preview button
fairly often, but I rarely hit the Save button until I'm at a good stopping
point. Unfortunately that strategy caused me to lose the contents of a page
when my browser decided to crash...

I know I should probably start saving the page more often rather than just
previewing it, but I think an Autosave on Preview would be a nice feature.
At least the admin would then have a way of getting to and restoring the
contents. Alternatively, this could of course be exposed in the UI. For
example, whenever I start to edit a page for which an autosave already
exists, PmWiki could warn me if the autosave is newer than the latest page
revision and offer to restore the autosave into the edit box instead.
Whenever a page is saved, the autosave could be deleted.

What do you think?

By the way, great job on PmWiki! We are using it internally as a knowledge
base and collaboration tool. We're still on version 0.6.13 and have never
had any problems with it. I've mostly been lurking on this mailing list so
far, but I appreciate the active community around PmWiki and this was one of
the reasons I decided to go with this Wiki.

-Mirko