[Pmwiki-users] How To Change Valid Wiki Titles

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Jan 31 07:19:51 CST 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 06:34:36PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> Q:  I want to be able to (allow) "&" character in my Wiki Titles.  How do I
> do it?  I think I need to modify one or more of the snippets below:

A: Hmm, I'd be pretty wary of doing this, because "&" often has special
meaning in HTML and URLs.  You'd not only have to modify the patterns
you listed, but also make sure that it's appropriately converted to "&"
in HTML and "%26" in URLs.  Perhaps PmWiki does this already, but if so
it's by accident and not design.  :-)

> Q:  I also want to change my file names (and thus, WikiTitles) to allow
> spaces, or rather, use the "_" (underscore) character for the actual
> TitleName and FileName, but display it on the screen as a " " (white-space).
> Is that easy to fix?

A: Sure!  In local.php:

        $PageNameSpace=' ';
	$PageTitlePattern='[A-Z]\\w*(?:-\\w*)';

You can then use {{free links}} to create links to other pages, these
get converted to page names like  "Free_Links", and are displayed as
"Free Links" on output.  Again, this breaks the free links of existing
documents.

> -----
> Q:  Is this mailing list available on Google or any other search engine?
> I'm concerned about my email address getting picked up by spam-bots or other
> evil things.

Yes, the archives are publicly available at
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/ and do get
indexed by Google.  Also I'm about to add the mailing list archives to
gmane.org to make them easier to search (easier searching of the archives
has been requested by a numbr of folks).  Both archiving systems attempt
to disguise email addresses so they aren't picked up by spam-bots.