[Pmwiki-users] Re: null characters or pattern breaking characters

John Rankin john.rankin
Sun Jan 11 16:27:07 CST 2004

I use the backtick in cases where I want to say "don't do what you
normally do with what follows". Specifically:

   `WikiWord    don't treat this as a wiki word
   `'           in smart quotes, make this a right quote
    `-          make this an en dash

I agree with Christian that this is slighlty different from what he
wants to accomplish, which is roughly: 'stop here'. As he says, this is
in effect a zero width space or an invisible comma.

So I suggest `, (backtick comma) as the markup.

I have often wished for a semi-visible comma as a normal part of
text punctuation, where you want to help a reader pause in reading,
but a comma is unsuitable.

JR

-