[pmwiki] [Pmwiki-users] Templates and variables: a thought

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Feb 26 18:58:25 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:33:06PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> Here's a start/end syntax for you:
> start		<!--PageHeaderFmt-->
> end		<!--/PageHeaderFmt-->

I don't mind something like <!--/PageHeaderFmt-->, as long as it doesn't
imply that sections nest (they don't and I probably don't want to go there),
and that any closing tag would work.  I.e., someone could do

    <!--PageHeaderFmt-->
    <!--/PageFooterFmt-->

and PmWiki would treat the /PageFooterFmt as the end of the PageHeaderFmt
section.

One other nastiness about this ending tag stuff, regardless of the chosen
syntax, is that in a template like the following (somewhat simplified
for illustration):

     <!--HeaderText-->
   </head><body>
     <!--PageHeaderFmt-->
       blah blah blah
     <!--PageText-->
     <!--PageFooterFmt-->
       blah blah blah
     <!--/PageFooterFmt-->
   <!--PageEditFmt-->
       blah blah blah
   <!--/PageEditFmt-->
       foo bar baz
       rama lama ding dong

the "foo bar baz rama lama ding dong" lines would display in every page
every page because they aren't in a section.  This might surprise a few
people, although I suppose it'd be pretty easy for an admin to detect
and fix if/when it occurs.  But this is partially why I'm in favor of
a directive syntax that might imply "start a new section to be output on
every page" as opposed to "end the section being defined".