[Pmwiki-users] Yet another Win32-IIS-diff/patch question.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Feb 24 15:18:10 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:13:04PM -0500, Bob Dively wrote:
> Nils Knappmeier <nk at knappi.org> wrote:
> > You could also test my PHP implementation of diff and
> > patch. There's a link on
>
> Nils, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, this install of
> PmWiki is running on a pretty skinny box, so if you diff
> engine is memory hungry I don't think I'll be able to use
> it.

For most boxes (at least anything able to run a web server), the
problem is the memory limits imposed by PHP and not the
hardware itself.  By default PHP restricts scripts to 8MB of
memory.

> > What is the maximum number of lines that you have in one
> > wiki?
>
> That's a somewhat hard question to answer. I have some pages
> where there are technically just a few lines that a very big
> paragraphs with 1000s of characters. I also have some pages
> that have many lines that are just a few characters (usually
> code snippets).

For a diff algorithm the key factor in the amount of space used
is the number of lines involved--the lengths of the lines aren't
a big factor in the amount of memory used (although the length may
impact the time needed to generate the diff).