[Pmwiki-users] Skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Feb 24 07:23:43 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:01:18PM +0100, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:

> Why add more special things to know if PHP code can handle that nicely?
>
> > > <!--wiki:Foo.PageName--> substitutes the contents of Foo.PageName
> > > at that point.  The page name can be parameterized as well,
> > > thus <!--wiki:$Group.PageName--> substitutes PageName from the
> > > current group. <!--file:filename.php--> includes the contents of
> > > filename.php
> >
> > > Let me know if you think this is an easier way to specify layouts.
> >
> > Yes, much easier, particularly for non-programmer folk.
>
> But it will restrict programmers.

It's not that I can't/won't make it work as a PHP file, it's that I
think that encoding skin templates as PHP files will be relatively ugly
far more difficult to read, which will discourage many non-PHP folks.
Nils Knappmeier came to a similar conclusion in [1]:

    Also, I'm beginning to realize that a template of this kind would
    be all but easy to read. From that point of view, [I've] seen
    better approaches in the other threads of this topic.

But my offer from one of my previous messages ([2]) still stands--if you'll
build a sample skin.php file that shows what you think a skin file ought to
look like as a .php file, I'll look into finding ways to make it work
and/or tell you what limitations it might impose on the resulting output.
You don't have to build a fancy skin--just showing me what a skin.php
file could look like for PmWiki's "classic" skin [3] is sufficient.

1.  http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-February/003049.html
2.  http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-February/003000.html
3.  http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki?skin=classic