[Pmwiki-users] New Template Comments (Dreamweaver)

Bob Dively dive
Sun Feb 22 21:07:52 CST 2004

Steven Leite wrote:
>>My only nitpick about the new templates - and it's a very, very small
>>nitpick - is the use of html comments as section delimiters. If someone
>>creates a layout with a WYSIWYG html editor like DreamWeaver, they
>>won't be able to see the html comments without looking at the source which
>>might make the process of producing a template slightly harder.

> False.  They show the comments as icons.  You click the icon, and the
> comment show's up in the properties field.  You can edit the comment there
> (without going to code view).  I'm not sure about FrontPage, but I think it
> has similar feature depending on what version you use.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. Like I said, my experience with WYSIWYG
html editors is pretty limited (and I hope it stays that way).

> (I think) content is inserted with $Variables, not comments.  Comments are
> only
> there for pmwiki to be able to identify the various parts of the template so
> that it can disable them (for example, in a call to [[noheader]].  If I'm
> wrong, I'm sure Pm will correct me :-)

Looking back at PM's original "Major change to layout code likely
(again!)" email he says:

 > The HTML comment <!--PageText--> indicates the point at which the main
 > page content should be inserted into the HTML.

 > The HTML comments <!--PageHeaderFmt-->, <!--PageFooterFmt-->, and
 > <!--PageTitleFmt--> delimit the boundaries of the page's header,
 > footer, and title and allow a WikiAuthor to suppress these sections
 > using the [[noheader]], [[nofooter]], and [[notitle]] markups.  If the
 > template.doesn't include these section identifiers, then the
 > [[noheader]] etc. markups will have no effect.  (Eventually there will
 > probably be a directive to control the sidebars.)

To me, it sounds like <!--PageText--> *inserts* the page content, while
the other html comments just delineate page sections.

-b