[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Main.SideBar

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Feb 17 20:59:41 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:48:33AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> I don't think the sidebar should be there by default. However, I do
> think it'd be nice if the sidebar "popped" up if you simply created a
> page called 'SideBar' (or 'Sidebar').

I disagree. It's easier to deal with things you can see than those you
can't. If the sidebar is there by default and contains a link to the
appropriate documentation for turning it off, then there will be less
future surprise potential.  Plus for those that *want* a sidebar, they
can plainly see that's it possible and easy.

Either way there's a big onus on the documentation to be complete and
easy to navigate. If the side bar isn't there the risk is that users
will reinvent it poorly. If the sidebar is there, users need to know
what's possible with the layout (or how to turn it off). There are
enough new things that I'd almost advocate putting off creating complete
documentation for the 0.6 release so that the saavy users can get their
hands on it (feeling better about not running a beta) and making the
milestone for 0.7 to be documentation, documentation, and more
documentation.  (boy does that sound backwards now that I've typed
it! :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff