[Pmwiki-users] About robots (was Re: Removing sidebar if there's no SideBar-page)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Feb 15 10:09:52 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:46:32PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > As far as the MyPageExists function--
>
> This is slightly related to MyPageExists. I used to have this code in my
> customization:
> [...]
> where I tell the robots to not index things from the pmwiki distribution
> --- the search results should be found at pmichaud.com instead.
>
> Maybe this is something to incorporate as part of the standard
> distribution?

Yes, this came up in a discussion I was having here with someone else
yesterday, that the distributed PmWiki pages probably shouldn't get
indexed by robots.  But rather than test for source in wikilib.d,
I was just going to default to excluding the PmWiki group from indexing
(figuring it'd be okay for the three distributed pages in Main to be
indexed):

   if (FmtPageName('$Group',$pagename)=='PmWiki') ... // don't index

Other possibilities:
 - Encode a "noindex" directive in the markup somehow
 - Provide a $RobotsIndexPages array that specifies pagename patterns to
     be indexed/followed by robots

OTOH, it's really interesting sometimes to do a google search for 'PmWiki'
and see all of the installations that have been done... :-)