[Pmwiki-users] Diff for PHP-Safemodeto

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Feb 13 09:58:14 CST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:08:45PM +0100, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> If I get the design right, every extension should be
> done by just putting some files into the local/-Directory and by
> modifying/creating the file local/local.php

You're quite correct.

> The only way for a clean integration is imho to externalize the Diff and
> Patch function into a file in scripts/ and make that
> inclusion configurable via local/local.php. This shouldn't be too much
> work, should it?

It is and it isn't.  The patches that you contributed last fall using
phpdiff are *greatly* appreciated and I do plan to incorporate it as a
module into PmWiki, but other features listed in DevelopmentPriorities
were more important, and I don't want to hold up the 0.6.0 release for it.
PhpDiffAndPatch is something I think I can add as an incremental (minor)
release, whereas many of the recent features required a major release.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the time/memory requirements of
phpdiff on large texts, and I haven't been able to find out many details
about its performance in these areas.  As annoying as not having page
revisions is, it's considerably less annoying than completely losing a
very large page of text because PHP ran out of memory or timed
out while saving a page.  :-)

Anyway, I do plan to add hooks to the post/patch routines to allow
calls to external modules, but I need to take a closer look at phpdiff
to see what would be required to make it work, and based on the votes in
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/DevelopmentPriority that's
waiting until after the 0.6 release.

Thanks a lot!