[Pmwiki-users] Call For Directory Simplicity

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Feb 13 09:06:41 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:41:42AM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
>    Hope  I'm  not  being  nit-picky, but I figured, hey, since we're on a
>    roll  and  quickly  approaching 1.0 release, might as well through the
>    topic out for discussion :)

Just as a side comment, I don't know how close we are to a "1.0" release,
and hitting a magic 1.0 number isn't a priority for me.  At some point
I'll decide that PmWiki has reached a 1.0 stage, but I'm not there yet.

>    I  dont'  like  the  directory name "local" - I would prefer "config".
>    It's more intuitive to new admins.
>    I don't want to see any more new folders added - I think there are too
>    many already.

I don't have any plans to greatly alter PmWiki's 0.6's directory structure
unless I hear a *lot* of call to change it.  I might consider changing
local to config, but "config" sounds incorrect to me because the directory
is really a place to hold local scripts, which may or may not be
"configuration".

>    Can  PmWiki.php stand on it's own (if I deleted the scripts directory,
>    would  it still work?).

Almost.  PmWiki 0.6 needs some sort of layout and now gets that from
stdlayout.php (previously a layout was defined in pmwiki.php, but I
decided I didn't want the redundant code).  So, as long as some sort
of layout is defined somewhere, then the scripts in the scripts/
directory are all optional.

>  If not, then I think the core files should be
>    in the same directory (root directory?) as PmWiki.php.

This is bad, because on many systems it would then be possible for someone
to execute the scripts directly, without going through pmwiki.php.  There's
a *huge* potential for security holes if/when that happens.

>    I  think any optional files not being used by default should go in the
>    scripts  directory.  This makes it more clear what is used/needed, and
>    what  can  be  ignored.  It also makes it clear what's not being used,
>    but  what  could  be used if the user wants to use it (uploads.php for
>    example).

If this is needed, we need a way to do this other than creating separate
directories.