[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki-0.6.beta8 released

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Fri Feb 13 08:32:58 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:44:36AM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> > Take a look at this page. All CSS layouts and links tot other layout
> > 'depots'
> > http://www.mentalized.net/cssdepot/
> >
> > enough said about tables already...
>
> Forgive me if I missed any prior threads, but, what's so bad about tables?
> I use them extensively for layout.  Why is it bad?  I think it's a heck of a
> lot simpler than CSS, but maybe that's just my naievity about CSS.

Nothing is wrong with tables. They work just fine. But they are
completely about layout rather than content. You have rows and columns
and you put different things in them. Using a CSS based layout though
you can talk about what those things are supposed to be (e.g., header,
footer, title, sidebar, whatever) and position them or color them or
change their font or whatever based on what they contain.

For instance, there's been talk about putting the sidebar menu on the
right rather than the left.  One mechanism is to use the various
variables defined in PmWiki for these items.  However, it's
theoretically possible for you to change the relative position of the
header/body/sidebar/footer/etc. by simply providing another style
sheet.  You can't do that with tables.

See http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/layouts/3Col_NN4_FFFF.mhtml and
http://www.csszengarden.com/

-Scott