[Pmwiki-users] Re: Call for Template Simplicity

Dawn Green green
Wed Feb 11 23:48:31 CST 2004

I've been following the discussion on Patrick's new layout.  He wrote that
users came in 3 categories:

    1. Sites with little customization (basically just changing the logo)
    2. Sites using a css-based FlexLayout/WebMenu
    3. Sites that are heavily customized

I am definitely a #3.  Until this evening when I did some research on CSS
based layouts (divs vs. tables), I couldn't understand Patrick's new line of
thinking.  But even knowing, understanding and appreciating Pat's new
implementation, I still believe there are better ways of putting PmWiki
together.

Niall Durham has come up with a way to take our work--as a web development
company, and "PmWiki-It" using a fairly simple but functional script.  The
thing is:  most #3 users ALREADY know HTML/CSS and anything else that gets
them by.  His script ( I do not have the address here) will take virtually any
current HTML page and convert into a PmWikiReady format.  For us, it is a
superbly functional add-on.

Also, I agree with Steve who says that the CSS based template should be turned
off by default. Those that want to delve into more CSS based layouts (the #2s)
can use Pat's new template.  The number 1s will lean towards no customization
and more functionality regardless.  The number 3s will try whatever it takes
to make a sight look "non-wiki".  So, it seems to me that the new layout is
geared towards an audience between number 1s and 2s.  Give them flexiblity
without forcing them into CSS.

It is getting close to 1:00 a.m. and I'm not sure this makes sense...but it is
my 2 cents from a user who finds PmWiki an extremely functional product.

I am STILL waiting for Patrick to add a PayPal link to his own site as I, for
one, want to be able to contribute to its extended development.

Thanks, Patrick!!

Dawn