[Pmwiki-users] Re: Call for Template Simplicity

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Wed Feb 11 11:57:47 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 07:32:21PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > Sure thing.  Actually, it will have to go in sample-local.php, since
> > PmWiki doesn't ship with a local.php to avoid overwrites when upgrading.
> >
> > Also, sample-local.php has traditionally been distributed in the scripts/
> > directory--perhaps it should go in local/ instead?
>
> Since I didn't even know there was a script/sample-local.php (which would
> have been nice to use btw), I'd say that the current location *sucks* :-)
>
> I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting it in local/ though... AFAIK,
> updating pmwiki is supposed to *not* write into that directory?

Currently two files get written into that directory if you follow the
instructions given at http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiUpgrades
These files are README.local and .htaccess  I don't see what harm it
would do to add sample-local.php to that list.

> Here are some alternative locations:
>    1. local/sample-local.php
>    2. local/samples/local.php
>    3. examples/local.php
>
> actually, maybe #3 isn't so bad?

IMHO #3 isn't so bad iff you spell it examples/sample-local.php (or
something other than just local.php) and you have other examples to put
in there. But what other examples would you have? Seems like it would
just be full of sample local.php files with varying options turned on or
off and maybe a few customizations here and there. What are common
customizations that people choose?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff