[Pmwiki-users] Call for Template Simplicity

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Wed Feb 11 09:23:48 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:39:09AM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> There's no doubt about it, any Admin that is installing PmWiki (even
> for the first time) will follow these steps before anything else:
>
> 1)  Get it installed and working
> 2)  Customize it!
>
> I think we can improve on Step 2 by not shipping PmWiki with a
> css-based template (by default).

Maybe I'm just weird, but I would say exactly the opposite. We can
improve on Step #2 by shipping pmwiki _with_ a css-based template on by
default. As one who will be customizing, I appreciate that everything is
mostly already setup in a nice framework. And since I'm already
customizing, I can easily turn things on and off at will.

Two important factors that come into play here are
	1) How easy is it to add/remove features
	2) How well documented are these features
It's easy enough to turn things on and off, but it's not clear to me
that things are documented well enough that I know what's going to
happen when I turn a feature on/off.   Or even documented enough that
I can easily tell if I need to invent a feature or if it comes with
PmWiki or if I need to look in the cookbook.

Yeah, I know; we all share the burden of documentation :)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com