[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Feb 10 09:20:40 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:56:26PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> > > I prefer #4 over #5 simply because I feel less worried about false
> > > positives And we already expect things witin {{...}} to become links, but
> > > we aren't expecting a single character in front to completely change this
> > > behaviour.
> > >
> > > Of course, writing that, I realize that putting '/' or a '.' can change
> > > the interpretation drastically (e.g. Group/{{bla bla}}). OTOH, I've never
> > > quite understood the reason for putting the group outside.
> > >
> > > Scott, could you give a reason for why you'd prefer #5?
> >
> > Consistency.
>
> Ok, so hypothetically speaking, if we'd been writing {{Profiles/Foo}}
> instead of Profiles/{{Foo}}, you'd preferred {{~Foo}}?

Perhaps.  Actually I was mildly enamoured with using -- as a shorthand
for the Profiles group (or whatever it would actually be called), so
I'd probably be suggesting {{--/foo}} instead.  :-)

> Btw, I happen to feel that putting the group outside of the {{..}} is
> inconsistent, so for me using that as motivation is sort of like arguing
> that two wrongs make a right, but that's a totally different issue.

Yeah, it's always kinda bugged me too, but not enough to propose a
change.

> > Also, I get the feeling that {{~foo}} may actually confuse some people
> > into thinking that there is some relation to unix accounts when there
> > is not.
>
> Hmm.. I can't honestly see that... I've always associated ~foo with a home
> directory rather than the actual account. It'd be 'foo' that's the account
> in my mind.

Right.

Some random user: ``But my account name is "fred", so shouldn't
I be using {{~fred}} for my user information on the wiki?''
Of course that's fine for them to do, but I can see how it might cause
confusion at some point.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff