[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Feb 10 08:25:09 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:37:31PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> >
> > Given that we're really just talking about a short-hand way to say
> > Profiles/{{signature}}, I like #5 best.
>
> I prefer #4 over #5 simply because I feel less worried about false
> positives And we already expect things witin {{...}} to become links, but
> we aren't expecting a single character in front to completely change this
> behaviour.
>
> Of course, writing that, I realize that putting '/' or a '.' can change
> the interpretation drastically (e.g. Group/{{bla bla}}). OTOH, I've never
> quite understood the reason for putting the group outside.
>
> Scott, could you give a reason for why you'd prefer #5?

Consistency.  ~{{Foo}} makes more sense as an abbreviation for
Profiles/{{Foo}} than {{~Foo}} does IMHO.  Notice the nice one to one
correspondence here:

	Profiles/	{{Foo}}
	~		{{Foo}}

Keeping {{Foo}} looking like {{Foo}} seems like a worthy consistency
to me.

It's also strange that this would be the one and only instance
where characters inside the {{...}} would affect the group that
a link links to.

Also, I get the feeling that {{~foo}} may actually confuse some people
into thinking that there is some relation to unix accounts when there
is not.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff