[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Feb 9 16:56:21 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:37:31PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:

> Of course, writing that, I realize that putting '/' or a '.' can change
> the interpretation drastically (e.g. Group/{{bla bla}}). OTOH, I've never
> quite understood the reason for putting the group outside.

Well, WikiGroups predated FreeLinks by about a year, and when FreeLinks
were added it was just deemed simpler to leave the Groups on the outside.
Besides, a FreeLink can start to look really funny with the group name
inside:

{{My special group.my install|ation}}ed

{{My special group/my install|ation}}ed

Both link to MySpecialGroup.MyInstallation and one renders
as "My special group.my installed" while the other renders as
"my installed".  Plus, the FreeLinkPattern is already hairy enough [1]
without trying to add groups to it, or figuring out if someone has
specified a group on the inside or on the outside.

If you're willing to say that group names in FreeLinks should be displayed
in their natural form (and not as the free link text), then it's
conceivable to add these link patterns via an entry in $DoubleBrackets.
But it will probably have a big impact on the WikiTrail code and other
items that depend heavily on the current freelink patterns.

Pm

1.  For reference, the current $FreeLinkPattern is