[Pmwiki-users] right and center alignment

Alexander Babanov babanov
Sun Feb 8 04:52:12 CST 2004

Steven Leite wrote:

> Forcing our naive authors to learn this (proprietary) markup, it just
> doesn't seem right.  I think IF we are going to teach people markup specific
> to PmWiki, then we might as well use existing HTML markup, or something that
> RESEMBLES HTML.

Funny that you said that, one of the ideas behind the original WikiWiki
concept was to step away from HTML markup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

> I know php has extremely powerful regexp abilities, so searching for start
> and stop tags, and using backreferences to store the text between should be
> very simple to do.
>
> As for (illegally placed) multiple tags such as %align=center% %align=righ%
> appearing on the same line, searching for a open-and-close tag for the first
> instance, and stripping out any illegal tags completely would solve that.
> Kind of like a spell-checker!

You do realize, of course, that regular expressions cannot do general
recursion, so a proper implementation of what you are asking for is more
than a little hack, not to say, reinvention of a wheel in a particularly
  wicked squarish configuration ;-)

/ Alex