[Pmwiki-users] Re: Mail interface for adding to pages

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Feb 6 01:17:23 CST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Steven Leite wrote:

> > then if someone happens to do a 'reply all', we might get a duplicate
> > posting (well, not exacply duplicate since it'll have an extra '> ' in
> > front). Is this why you wanted to use 'bcc'?
>
> If we specify that the directive must be the very first thing to appear in
> the message body, that will elliminate one scenario.  However, figuring out
> where to END could get confusing (if there are multiple end directives).

I don't think there is a problem any more since Patrick suggested that the
directive must be the first thing on a line... Ususally the part that you
reply to is quoted with '> ' or something, so any directives in the part
you reply to will not be the first thing on a line.

In addition, we want to be able to add different parts of a message to
different wiki pages from a single email. So requiring a directive to
appear first in a mail doesn't help further down.

> >> then if someone happens to do a 'reply all', we might get a duplicate
> >> posting (well, not exacply duplicate since it'll have an extra '> ' in
> >> front). Is this why you wanted to use 'bcc'?
>
> >Yup, it's why I wanted to do 'bcc', so it won't appear in the reply
> address,
> >also I was going to have the mail software completely ignore any
> >directives that have been quoted-- i.e., the directive has to be at
> >the beginning of the line to be processed.
>
> Patrick, the system could also check the "To:" field and ensure that it is
> the ONLY recipient of that message.  If there are multiple recipients, then
> it should be ignored.  That way it will catch this potential error.

A feature here was the ability to answer a question on the list while
simulataneously adding the information to the wiki site, so we don't want
this restriction.

> >> I can't remember if this already has been said, but the 'wiki mail
> >> gateway' (?) (or 'wiki gateway' for short), will send a reply with
> >> information about the result, right?
>
> >Yes, I believe it should do that by default, unless there's a "noreply"
> >directive or something.  :-)
>
> Or just replying to the author, and not the whole list.

I agree, it definitely should *only* reply to the author :-)

/Christian