[Pmwiki-users] rss-feed

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Dec 31 07:55:27 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:04:54AM +0100, Philipp H?gelmeyer wrote:
> I use pmwiki-2.0-beta14 and the rss functionality did not produce
> corect xml. So I changed the fuinction rssencode() in scripts/rss.php.
> It now looks a bit ugly but at least it works for me. I am not shure,
> that it cares of all the markup and corner cases.

Actually RSS (both rss.php and the protocol itself) has lots of
problems -- see

   http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00239
   http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00235
   http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00129

In general HTML character entities cause problems for RSS feeds and
there's not a clean workaround.  I'm to the point where I may simply
have to hardcode a table of character entity names and their replacements,
as there doesn't seem to be an automated mechanism for doing it.  :-(

Thanks.