[Pmwiki-users] (:noleft:) layout questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 29 10:45:35 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:17:08PM -0500, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> >         $HTMLStylesFmt['norm'] = "@import url(\$SkinDirUrl/myskin.css);\n";
> >
> > Entries in $HTMLStylesFmt[] are automatically placed into the header
> > inside of <style ...> ... </style> tags.
>
> Hmm.  It also puts them inside comments. <!-- -->  Older Mozilla
> builds wind up ignoring @import inside comments, but newer ones
> seem not to mind.
>
> <whine>Why are there so many ways!?  Which one is right?</whine>
>
> Seriously (as in, the opposite of jokingly; it's not like this is
> a serious issue), why the comments?

>From the HTML 4.01 specification [1]:

    14.5 Hiding style data from user agents

    Some style sheet languages support syntax intended to allow
    authors to hide the content of STYLE elements from
    non-conforming user agents.

    This example illustrates for CSS how to comment out the
    content of STYLE elements to ensure that older, non-conforming
    user agents will not render them as text.

    <STYLE type="text/css">
    <!--
       H1 { color: red }
       P  { color: blue}
       -->
    </STYLE>

Most articles/reports I've seen on authoring CSS have indicated that it's
good practice to enclose the contents of <style> elements in comments.
If newer practices indicate that it would be better to *not* do this,
then I'll be glad to take a look at them and reconsider PmWiki's default.  :-)

Pm

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/styles.html#h-14.5