[Pmwiki-users] PHP 4.3.10 upgrade problems reported

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Dec 25 09:17:52 CST 2004

Hi, all --

Over the last couple of days there have been numerous reports of
problems running PHP scripts (including PmWiki) after upgrading to
PHP 4.3.10.  The problem appears to be related to upgrading PHP
without also updating the "Zend optimizer", and it has affected
lots of PHP-based systems in addition to PmWiki.

In PmWiki the problem normally appears as a sequence of "Illegal
offset type" errors.  If this message suddenly starts appearing for
your site, chances are that your server administrator upgraded to
PHP 4.3.10 but forgot to upgrade (or hasn't yet upgraded) the Zend
optimizer also.  You can then point your server administrator to
the appropriate notice at
http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-optimizer.php .
This apparently happened on pmwiki.org yesterday, but my web
hosting provider soon caught the problem and fixed it.

If upgrading the optimizer (or reverting back to a previous
version of PHP) doesn't fix things on your site, then report it
to pmwiki-users and we'll take a look at it.  :-)

Happy Holidays, all!