[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: PmWikiDraw and multiple editors?

Ciaran ciaranj
Wed Dec 22 05:12:13 CST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:22:01 -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff <duff at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:48:38PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Ciaran wrote:
> >
> > > In PmWiki2 its somewhat better, the changes are merged.
> >
> > I'd say it is *much* better in PmWiki 2. Not only are you informed that
> > someone else edited and saved the page while you were working on it, you
> > are also immediately shown what they did. In addition, the system is
> > supposed to automatically merge the changes so that you don't have to do
> > anything manually... this is the theory anyway, I haven't had any
> > experience with it yet.
>
> Well, you aren't shown "what they did" as much as you are shown "their
> changes and yours merged into one document with conflict areas clearly
> delimited", but it does work quite well.
>
> Random thoughts: It seems "difficult" to merge images the same way that
> you'd merge text.  The granularity would be pixels rather than objects
> and that seems way too small.   It'd be best if you could find a way
> to say "a circle of this extent was added at location (x,y)"
>
> I wonder if it would be worth while to somehow store the actions used to
> generate the image along with the image itself. Then, when someone has
> edited an image while you were editing, you should be able to display
> the image and "replay" the actions they used to make their changes and
> decide if you really want to incorporate those changes into your image.
>
> -Scott
> --
> Jonathan Scott Duff
> duff at pobox.com
>
> --

;) Bear in mind these *are* stored as meta-files so it is 'possible'
to determine what is different between two givein drawings.  However
the task is amusingly difficult (imho).  If someone has the time and
patience to come up with a reliable algorithm then I'm happy to
incorporate it, but for the time being offering up a window with the
'modified' drawing and allowing the users to drag'n'drop from it to
the current 'active' drawing is the route I feel comfortable taking
PmwikiDraw (i.e. definately achievable ! )
Thanks
- ciaran

--
- Ciaran