[Pmwiki-users] "fopen" error, "read" password, .htaccess

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 20 22:00:36 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 07:07:48PM -0500, Constantin Basturea wrote:
> I'm trying to install a password-protected wiki and I have the
> following problems:
>
> 1. When I tried to edit a page I got the following error message:
>
> "Warning: fopen(wiki.d/Main.HomePage,new): failed to open stream:
> Permission denied in
> /home/chroot/home/username/name.domain.com/pmwiki.php on line 499
> PmWiki can't process your request
>
> Cannot write page to Main.HomePage (wiki.d/Main.HomePage)...changes not saved"

What version of PmWiki?

This looks like a safe_mode problem -- especially if you had pmwiki
create the wiki.d directory.  Try creating the wiki.d directory manually
and giving it 777 permission.

> 3. Funny enough, I noticed that the index of all my files is publicly
> available. I posted a .htacces with "Index Ignore */*", but I'm not
> sure if this protects the files...

Hmm.  PmWiki 2.0.beta7 and later will automatically create the
correct .htaccess file in wiki.d/ for you.  However, if PmWiki is
unable to write into the wiki.d directory (from above), then this is
why it's not happening.  You shouldn't have to create a .htaccess
file for wiki.d/ -- if it's been created and isn't blocking access
to the directory, then there's something else going on.

You can also put "Options -Index" into .htaccess in your pmwiki
directory -- this turns off directory indexing.