[Pmwiki-users] [pmwiki1 & 2], userauth and author spamming

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 13 14:03:16 CST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 07:39:09PM +0100, pyg_listes wrote:
> some users find that it's "funny" (maybe it's not really wanted) to give
> an already existing user name instead of their own author name when
> modifying a page.
> [...]
> my question is : is there a simple way to prevent anybody to use an
> "already in use" author name ?

Depends on how you define "already in use"?  For example, if I
add a page as "Patrick Michaud", then I return a few days later
and add another page as "Patrick Michaud", then the name
"Patrick Michaud" is "already in use" unless there's a way that
the system can figure out that I'm the same Patrick Michaud that
visited a few days earlier.

> Solutions I have explored :
> -> assigning a password the first time an author name is used, store it
> (hidden) in Profiles/AuthorsPasswords (so each user define by himself
> his password). It would be (for me) the best solution, but I'm affraid
> it's quite complicated to code :-/

I'm working on this one, except the passwords would be stored in
the individual Profiles pages instead of having a separate page for them
all.

> That's not really an essential question (I understand that we must keep
> edition simple), but it may sounds quite strange to some of my users to
> see in AllRecentPages some modifications they hadn't done but "signed"
> with their usual authoring name...

Alas, this is just a hazard of running a wiki that doesn't provide
authentication.  But I'll see if I can bump the user authentication
features up a notch in development priority (http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00010,
for those who want to vote on it.  :-)