[Pmwiki-users] more thoughts on .htaccess

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Dec 7 07:26:45 CST 2004

At 2004-12-07  06:50 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>It's pretty easy for someone who knows a little about Apache configuration to
>tune PmWiki's .htaccess files and other files for better performance in
>their specific environment.  The docs are mainly aimed at those who aren't
>familiar with webserver configuration.

"Someone who knows a little about Apache configuration" certainly describes
me. "Very little" might be more accurate.

For the "local/.htaccess" file to work at all, does there not need to be
some kind of override in the httpd.conf file? A default install of Apache 2
appears to have .htaccess disabled. So having the file present may give me
a warm feeling, but it certainly isn't protecting anything. The default
appears as follows:

# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
     AllowOverride None

What should this be set to? I suspect that "all" would be OK as long as I
control the .htaccess files.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/