[Pmwiki-users] Re: local htaccess (was: Re: What is the *patch file for?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Dec 7 07:09:39 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:34:59PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggested text -- it's excellent.
>
> I also think the text (and the idea) was good.
>
> Wasn't there talk about using an "installation" script (php)? If so,
> couldn't that check if there already exists a .htaccess an only create one
> if it doesn't already exist?

There's little chance of having an installation script in the traditional
sense.  If the script runs from the web, then any files it creates will
have the wrong ownership and permissions; and a script that can only be
run from the command line isn't of much help to those who tend to need
it most (i.e., admins w/o command line access).

About the best a web-based "installation" script can do is to analyze
things and tell the administrator "you need to do this for me" (as
PmWiki already does for the creation of the wiki.d/ and other directories).
And we need to keep the number of such items small.