local htaccess (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] What is the *patch file for?)

Neil Herber nospam
Mon Dec 6 09:28:51 CST 2004

At 2004-12-06  08:52 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>And yes, local/ is reserved for the sites local scripts, but I make an
>exception for this one file.  I think for new site admins it's
>important that PmWiki already have local/.htaccess file in place for
>the initial installation, so the admin doesn't get a nasty hacking
>surprise later on.
>
>It'll be fixed in the next release.

I think it would also be worth a note on the download and install page.
Something to the effect that:

====
The "local/" directory in the default distribution contains an ".htaccess"
file. To prevent local scripts from being accessed directly (a potential
security hole) this file must include the following lines:

         Order allow,deny
         Deny from all

If you have altered this file, it will be overwritten when you upgrade from
one version of PmWiki to another. Be sure to save a copy of your altered
file in another location before doing an upgrade. After upgrading, you will
need to reinstall your copy of ".htaccess".
====

This note could appear as comment inside ".htaccess" as well.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668