[Pmwiki-users] internationalization and utf-8 support

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Dec 5 16:34:52 CST 2004

Several people have expressed an interest in having PmWiki support
utf-8, both on this listserv and via PITS (http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00168).
Who's still interested?

I've made some changes to PmWiki that will (hopefully) enable full
utf-8 compatibility, including utf-8 characters in pagenames.  However,
I need people in other countries/languages/browsers to fully test it.
I've enabled utf-8 support in the UTF8 group on pmwiki.org --
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/UTF8.  If others will create a few test
pages here in different languages (especially languages that use
non-Western characters such as Cyrillic, Japanese, Chinese, etc.),
we may be able to officially support utf-8 soon.

Also, for those who are interested in creating translation pages for
distribution (e.g., PmWikiXX.XLPage), it might be a good idea to let
me know now what character set each language ought to be using.

Even with utf-8 support, for compatibility reasons I'm expecting that
iso-8859-1 will continue to be PmWiki's default character set in the
distribution.