[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki version

Neil Herber nospam
Wed Dec 1 15:43:44 CST 2004

At 2004-12-01  03:02 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:33:22PM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> > Is there a way to distinguish a pmwiki1 installation from a pmwiki2
> > installation from the outside? I.e., if all I have is a URL, how can I
> > tell if they are running pmwiki1 versus pmwiki2?
>
>Directly, not really.  We could (should?) probably add an HTTP-Header
>that identifies the software generating the page.
>
>Indirectly you could probably figure out the pmwiki1 vs. pmwiki2
>distinction by
>looking at the generated HTML output.  If you see <p></p> sequences,
>it's very likely to be pmwiki1; if you see <p class='vspace'></p> sequences,
>it's probably pmwiki2.

If I had a choice, I would like to see something like this in config.php:

##  By default, PmWiki doesn't identify itself in the HTTP header.  Setting
##  $HTTPHeaderID="string"; will cause PmWiki to add a properly
##  formed HTTP header that includes "string". The string content is
##  up to you, but suggested values are "PmWiki-V1" or "PmWiki-V2".
# $HTTPHeaderID = "";

I try to use minimal headers wherever I can to make life just slightly more
difficult for bots and spammers.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/