[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki password puzzle

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Aug 25 16:33:20 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 26 August 2004 1:04 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:15:12AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
>> The setup:
>> There is a group with a read password and an edit password. The
>> edit password is also a valid read password. Some pages have the
>> read password set to nopass, allowing read access by anyone.
>>
>> The sidebar includes both Main.SideBar and $group.SideBar. Neither
>> SideBar page has a password.
>>
>> The problem:
>> On pages without a password, $group.SideBar displays, but
>> Main.SideBar doesn't.
>
>Hmm.  I tried duplicating this problem on pmwiki.org, but I got the
>"opposite" result (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PasswordTest).  That is,
>the Main.SideBar appears correctly, but the $group.SideBar
>(PasswordTest.SideBar) doesn't appear until you enter a
>password.
>
>Can you double-check that the correct pages are displaying?  Feel
>free to play around with the test group on pmwiki.org (the read/edit
>passwords are set to 'secret' via GroupAttributes).

Our configuration is slightly different. There is a $group.php
file that sets:

    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('pass2');
    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = array(crypt('pass1'),crypt('pass2'));
    $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = crypt('pass3');

Ah, I think the penny just dropped. Main.SideBar can't display
because it sees the default read password. However, if we set the
read password using the GroupAttributes page, it should work.

Thank you. I *knew* it would be something obvious.
Just couldn't see it.

--
JR